St. Mary’s Hospital
LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) –Orthopaedic Specialty Unit-St. Mary’s Hospital
**$5,000 Sign On Bonus for Qualified Candidates**
Orthopaedic Specialty Unit-St. Mary’s Hospital
The Orthopaedic Specialty Unit at St. Mary’s Hospital is a 28-bed unit focused on caring for joint replacement surgery patients. Our Team provides an Orthopaedic specific orientation program supported by a dedicated preceptor and leadership team. The unit has additional resources invested in the success of our nurses. This team includes an Orthopaedic NP, Physical Therapy experts, and Orthopaedic Care Manager. Our Fellowship trained Orthopaedic Surgeons perform about 1400 joint replacement surgeries annually. We have earned the Joint Commission’s Gold Seal of Approval for our knee and hip replacement programs annually since 2009. As a Magnet Hospital, St. Mary’s embraces a culture of nursing excellence. We provide continuing education on cutting edge orthopaedic nursing and we are proud to be a member of the NAON and an Orthopaedic Center of Excellence. Apply to learn about our team!
The LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse) delivers safe and efficient care to patients using nursing interventions. The LPN is responsible for general clinical and clerical duties associated with direct and indirect patient care.
Gives direct nursing care and assists with care of the patient at the direction of a Registered Nurse, Licensed Physician, Physician Assistant, or Advanced Practice Nurse
Implements the plan of care by providing direct basic nursing care in accordance with the LPN scope of practice
Performs phlebotomy services
Contributes to the plan of care with input from patient/family and other members of the healthcare team
Administers ordered medications and treatments, such as wound dressing changes and asthma treatment, prescribed by a Licensed Physician, Physician Assistant, or Nurse Practitioner while using appropriate medical equipment as needed
Other duties as assigned
High School Degree or GED
Completion of an accredited LPN (Licensed Practical Nursing) Program
Current state licensure as an LPN (Licensed Practical Nurse)
Basic Life Support (BLS) – American Heart Association (preferred, not required)
One year of clinical patient care experience (e.g., PCT, CNA, LPN) in an acute care setting, long-term care facility, or physician practice (preferred, not required)
EPIC Electronic Health Record (EHR) training (preferred, not required)
Completion of Basic Arrhythmia class with a passing grade on exam (required for Telemetry/Remote Telemetry units)
Summary of Primary Function/General Purpose of Position
In collaboration with the interdisciplinary team and under the supervision of the professional Registered Nurse, the Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) provides skilled nursing care and administers medications to patients.
Essential Job Functions
• Under the direction of a Licensed Professional (e.g., Physician, Physician Assistant, Nurse Practitioner, or Registered Nurse), participates in the nursing process to include assessment, planning, implementation, and evaluation of the patient’s plan of care accurately and in a timely manner while collaborating with other nurses and members of the healthcare team.
• Gives direct nursing care and assists with care of the patient at the direction of a Registered Nurse, Licensed Physician, Physician Assistant, or Advanced Practice Nurse.
• Contributes to the plan of care with input from patient/family and other members of the healthcare team.
• Performs patient data collection and observation considering patient’s age group, severity of condition/disease (including physical, psychosocial, cultural, environmental, self-care, and education needs), and coordination of resources and referrals.
• Collect and document objective data, subjective data, and patient care including focused observations such as pain, pain relief, results of treatments, updates to plan of care, implementation, and evaluation of care following unit specific and hospital charting guidelines.
• Implements patient care in a safe, knowledgeable, skillful, consistent, and continuous manner.
• Administers ordered medications and treatments, such as wound dressing changes and asthma treatment, prescribed by a Licensed Physician, Physician Assistant, or Nurse Practitioner using appropriate medical equipment as needed.
• Performs phlebotomy services
• Contributes to the evaluation of the patient’s response to nursing interventions, involving the patient, family, significant others, or other members of the health care team appropriately; documents and communicates patient’s responses to appropriate members of the healthcare team.
• Recognizes and reports significant changes in the patient’s condition and contributes to plan of care revision based on ongoing evaluation.
• Evaluates effectiveness of patient care and the processes for achieving positive patient outcomes.
• Demonstrates sensitivity to the needs of a diverse patient population.
• Adheres to the safety policies and procedures of the organization. Recognizes and reports potential safety issues.
• Delegates delegable nursing tasks in accordance with the local State Board of Nursing Administrative Code.
• Accepts accountability and responsibility for delivery of care for optimal patient outcomes.
• Complies with all HIPPA and OSHA policies.
• Practices infection control procedures.
This document is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, or working conditions associated with the job. Employees may be required to perform other job-related duties as required by their supervisor, subject to reasonable accommodation.
Current Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) from the state of employment (required)
BLS Basic Life Support – American Heart Association (required)
ACLS Advanced Cardiac Life Support (may be required for specialty areas)
PALS Pediatric Advanced Life Support (may be required for specialty areas)
NRP Neonatal Resuscitation Program (may be required for specialty areas)
1 year of clinical patient care experience (e.g., PCT, CNA, LPN) in an acute care setting, long-term care facility, or physician practice (preferred)
EPIC Electronic Health Record (EHR) training (preferred)
Completion of Basic Arrhythmia class with passing grade on exam (required for Telemetry/Remote Telemetry units)
Monitor patient conditions during treatment
Administer medications within scope
Inform medical professionals regarding patient conditions and care
Record patient medical histories
Analyze data and information
Attention to detail
Acceptance of authority
Communication with family members
Verbal and written communication
Time management skills
Patient Care Plans
Periods of high stress and fluctuating workloads may occur
May be exposed to physical altercations and verbal abuse
May be required to use physical restraints
May be exposed to adverse weather conditions; cold, hot, dust, wind, etc.
May be exposed to high noise levels and bright lights
May be exposed to limited hazardous substances or body fluids*
May be exposed to human blood and other potentially infectious materials*
May have periods of constant interruptions
* Individuals in this position are required to exercise universal precautions, use personal protective equipment and devices, and learn the policies concerning infection control.
Lifting/Carrying (0-50 lbs.): 34-66%
Lifting/Carrying (50-100 lbs.) 34-66%
Push/Pull (0-50 lbs.) 34-66%
Push/Pull (50-100 lbs.) 34-66%
Additional Physical Requirements/Hazards
Manual dexterity (eye/hand coordination)
Perform shift work
Maneuver weight of patients
Hear alarms/telephone/audio recorder
Reach above shoulder
Repetitive arm/hand movements
Acuity – far
Acuity – near
Use of latex products
Exposure to toxic/caustic/chemicals/detergents
Exposure to moving mechanical parts
Exposure to dust/fumes
Exposure to potential electrical shock
Exposure to x ray/electromagnetic energy
Exposure to high pitched noises
Gaseous risk exposure
Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served on his or her assigned unit.
Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development of the life span and possesses the ability to assess data reflective of the patient’s status and interprets the appropriate information needed to identify each patient’s requirements relative to his or her age, specific needs and to provide the care needed as described in departmental policies and procedures.
Neonates (0-4 weeks)
Infant (1-12 months)
Pediatrics (1-12 years)
Adolescents (13-17 years)
Adults (18-64 years)
Geriatrics (65 years and older)
Bon Secours is an equal opportunity employer.
Many of our opportunities reward* your hard work with:
Comprehensive, affordable medical, dental and vision plans
Prescription drug coverage
Flexible spending accounts
Life insurance w/AD&D
Employer contributions to retirement savings plan when eligible
Paid time off
And much more
*Benefits offerings vary according to employment status
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
All (United States of America)
Med/Surg Orthopedic Unit (Joints) – St. Mary’s Richmond
All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetic information, or protected veteran status, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. If you’d like to view a copy of the affirmative action plan or policy statement for Mercy Health – Youngstown, Ohio or Bon Secours – Franklin, Virginia; Petersburg, Virginia; and Emporia, Virginia, which are Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employers, please email (url removed). If you are an individual with a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation as part of the employment selection process, please contact The Talent Acquisition Team at (url removed).
Calling all Human Service Majors!! Service Coordination, Inc. is looking for Service Coordinators with a passion to serve and work...Apply For This Job
Scottsdale, Arizona, United States ID: (phone number removed) Job DescriptionWork Location Options: Virtual You Lead the Way. We’ve Got Your...Apply For This Job
Thank you for considering a career at Mercy Health **$1500 SIGN ON BONUS for MA Certified Medical Assistant – Napoleon,...Apply For This Job
The Warehouse Worker will perform a variety of functions that may include receiving and processing incoming stock, picking and filling...Apply For This Job
Alera Group is seeking a Managing Director – West Region Based in California to join their team. Alera Group...Apply For This Job
The Production Manager manages the culinary operations for the prepared meals area for the large-scale production on a 7-day operation...Apply For This Job