Laboratory Specialist, Biology
Internal Position Title: Laboratory Specialist
Posting Number: S02003
Department:: Biological & Hlth Sciences Div
Position Type: Staff
Job Family: Specialist
The Laboratory Specialist, under the supervision of the Laboratory Operations Manager, oversees operation of biology lab facilities: prepares and sets up all supplies and equipment needed for laboratories, assists instructors in dispensing special equipment, coordinates and supervises student workers, assists in preparing the budget, orders supplies as needed, maintains inventory of supplies and equipment, and maintains and monitors the security and safety of the stockroom and laboratories.
The Laboratory Specialist’s duties include the necessary preparation, inventory control, and cleanup for the labs at the Southlake and Lakeshore campuses. Work at the Grayslake campus will also be required each week.
1.Associate degree or higher with emphasis in Biology or Chemistry.
2. Background in microbiology techniques.
3. Good organization skills, interpersonal skills and knowledge of scientific experiments and equipment required.
4. Knowledge of safe laboratory practice and handling hazardous materials required.
1. Bachelors degree in Biology, Chemistry, or related field.
2. Work experience in a lab, preferably academic lab.
3. Experience in inventory control.
Posting Date: 10/18/2022
Expected Start Date:
Special Instructions Summary:
Pay Rate: $19.00/HR
Full-Time/Part-Time: Full Time
Total Hours Per Week: 40.00
Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. May vary in accordance with the needs of the College. Work at all three campuses (Grayslake, Southlake, and Lakeshore) is required.
Software Testing Required: None
Interview Process Requirements: None
The College of Lake County is an equal opportunity employer and has a strong commitment to diversity. In that spirit, it seeks a broad spectrum of candidates including minorities, women and people with disabilities.
Summary of Essential Functions:
Department Operations and Procedures (80%)
1. Oversees operation of all biology laboratories, chemistry laboratories, preparation and storage rooms, and ensures proper functioning and maintenance at Southlake and Lakeshore campuses.
2. Prepares and sets up all supplies and equipment needed for laboratories; monitors and replenishes supplies as needed.
3. Maintains current knowledge of the operation of equipment and of laboratory techniques used in the biology labs and chemistry labs.
4. Performs minor, periodic maintenance of microscopes and other equipment; arranges for service calls when necessary.
5. Assists the instructors in dispensing special equipment and replacing equipment for students during lab periods.
6. Assists instructors in operating equipment and locating supplies.
7. Maintains computerized inventory of supplies and equipment, orders laboratory supplies as needed, maintains contact with suppliers, and receives all items purchased by the area. Travels to local suppliers to pick up materials as needed.
8. Maintains and monitors security and safety of stockroom and laboratories, including storage and use of hazardous chemicals and potentially pathogenic bacteria and fungi.
9. Maintains semester schedule of laboratory experiments for all classes.
10. Assists instructors in development of new laboratory experiments and equipment.
Management and Supervision (10%)
11. Coordinates and supervises student workers.
12. Cares for plants and animals and supervises student workers assisting with their care.
13. Performs other related duties as assigned by the Laboratory Operations Manager.
To apply, visit
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
The College of Lake County is an equal opportunity employer and has a strong commitment to diversity. In that spirit, it seeks a broad spectrum of candidates including minorities, women and people with disabilities. EOE/AA/M/F/D/V
Job Description Job Details Level Entry Job Location Quantico – Quantico, VA Position Type Full Time   Job Category Defense/Intelligence...Apply For This Job
Quality Engineer 2 (Smith & Nephew, Inc., Austin, TX): Establish new processes for future New Product Development (NPD) project initiation...Apply For This Job
Job Description Work at OMRON! Omron is a leading global manufacturer of industrial automation products focused on sensing and control...Apply For This Job
Project Manager II Remote Bluehawk Consulting is seeking a Project Manager II to support one of the world’s largest software...Apply For This Job
Job Description Blucora has a bold aspiration: we are committed to giving all people the tools needed to lead healthy...Apply For This Job
Job Description Manager, Analytics- MMA Category Market Research –> Client Service Job Location Norwalk, Connecticut Additional Locations Chicago New York...Apply For This Job