She Summits Co is seeking passionate, courageous, outdoorsy people who want to serve as role models for campers finishing 4th- 12th grade in an adventure travel camp setting. These people are balanced, responsible, trustworthy, excited, and love to have fun. They enjoy serving as leaders, journaling, encouraging others, and stewardship in the outdoors.
● All Trip Leaders attend three weeks of adventure planning training. This includes a WFR from Wilderness Medical Associates Trips to Acadia National Park, Baxter State Park, 100 Mile Wilderness, Rock Climbing, Sea Kayaking, and Biking to meet our vendors.
● There may be availability for flexible dates.
● Supervise campers, who may be new to adventure camps/wilderness environments
● Lead multi-day backpacking trips and canoeing adventure activities
● Teach outdoor living, camping skills, and Leave No Trace ethics
● Maintain a constant awareness of and provide attention to individual camper needs
● Assess and manage environmental and human risks
● Provide wilderness medical care
● Drive campers in 15 passenger vans with trailers
● Communicate with parents, contracted activity outfitters, and camp director
● Complete written reports and co-staff evaluations
● Make decisions that benefit the group as a whole
● Trip Leaders will work in groups of two leaders for the duration of the summer.
● Trip Leaders will be assigned to work with one grade group with the exception of one group of two leaders that will work with all three grade groups. Groups are 10th-12th, 7-9th, and 4-6th grade.
We highly recommend reviewing the 2022 Camp Guide for information on each grade level before you submit your application.
● Be on-duty for 2-5 weeks at a time with 24hrs off between camps which are every two weeks or every week depending on age group. 1-2 paid weeks off during the summer.
Examples: 1) Work two weeks- two weeks off- Work four weeks, 2) Work three weeks, one week off, work two weeks 2) One week off- work five weeks- one week off
● Minimum age of 21 years, if under 21 and you feel like you would fit. Please apply!
● Completed at least 1 year of college
● Clean driving record and clean criminal background record
● Previous experience leading backpacking trips
● Previous experience with youth outdoor education and leadership
● Fun, funny, and fun lovin’ attitude
Applicants must be physically able to perform the following:
● Hike up to 10 miles at elevations up to 8,000 feet
● Traverse uneven terrain that could include gravel, dirt, mud, snow, and ice
● Hike quickly for up to 10 miles in emergency situations
● Live and work in a setting with variable weather conditions
● Move and/or lift up to 60 pounds; load and unload equipment/packs from vehicles
● Reach, climb, grasp, push and pull above and below shoulder levels; squat and bend
Applicants must possess the following mental and emotional requirements:
● Emotional stability and maturity
● Promptness, reliability, and trustworthiness
● Ability to communicate effectively with supervisor, co-workers, campers, contract outfitters/vendors, and parents
● Ability to work successfully with people from diverse backgrounds
● Ability to self-motivate and make independent decisions
● Flexibility, spontaneity, and the ability to respond quickly and appropriately to camper needs, daily program needs,
and emergency situations
● Ability to model and teach safety and risk management
● Ability to organize and recall facts, figures, and information
● Ability to concentrate, focus, and accurately and efficiently perform required tasks
Applicants must be tolerant of the following environmental exposures:
● Potentially hot, cold, wet, dry, and humid weather
● Variable and potentially extreme temperature conditions, depending on elevation, time of day, and season (June-August)
● Potential exposure to toxic substances (i.e. bleach, petroleum vehicle fuel)
● Potential exposure to natural disasters such as fire, flood, earthquake, landslide, or heavy snow
● Potential exposure to dust, pollen, poison oak, and a variety of animals, plants, bees, and insects
● Wages are $400/wk to start
● $200 Travel Stipend before the season begins
● 3-4 weeks of training and 6-7 weeks on camp with 2-3 weeks off over the summer
● Access to pro deals and gear discounts