Will consider Certified and Non Certified MA’s or LPN’s
Summary of Primary Function/General Purpose of Position
The Medical Assistant is a multi-skilled clinical professional that provides indirect and/or direct patient care within the scope of practice and in alignment with the standards of excellence and quality. Under the direction of the provider, the Medical Assistant contributes to the completion of the patient’s chief complaint (including, but not limited, to respirations, blood pressure, pulse oximetry, height, weight, and temperature), documents patient/family needs, participates in planning and implementing care for patients, and administers ordered medications (oral, injection, topically, etc.) within the Medical Assisting scope and state guidelines.
Essential Job Functions
• Understands and adheres to the legal responsibilities and requirements within the Medical Assistant role.
• Identifies significant changes in patient condition through data collection and reports them to the provider.
• Troubleshoots issues and escalate problems to provider, direct supervisor, or appropriate internal resource.
• Demonstrates standards of excellence in care in all interactions, for both internal and external customers.
• Maintains clinical and administrative skills per the departmental competency guidelines to meet patient care and daily operational needs.
• Show patients to examination rooms and prepare them for the physician.
• Travels to other facilities for BSMH providers or adjusts hours to meet patient care needs as directed by the practice manager as needed.
• Maintains a safe and supportive environment by keeping the work area, exam rooms, and equipment in clean, orderly, and safe manner, ensuring availability and proper functioning of supplies and equipment.
• Assists patient and provider with virtual health visits which may include setting up the visit through appropriate platform, pre-charting the virtual visit prior to the scheduled appointment, contacting the patient to ensure preparedness for the virtual visit, troubleshooting virtual visit issues when needed, obtaining chief complaint and health maintenance checks, medication review, and other relevant patient details prior to the actual virtual visit.
• Documents in electronic medical records (EMR) accurately and appropriately.
• Manages in basket messages in the electronic health record (EHR) under the Provider’s verbatim instructions.
• Performs front desk workflows (i.e., My Chart requests, patient registration, scheduling, phone triage, cash handling, and check-in/check-out).
• Follows up on orders, appointments, referrals, and follow up visits and collects co-pays as needed.
• Other duties include, but not limited to, ordering supplies appropriately, tracking referrals, labs and diagnostic tests, disposing of contaminated supplies, etc.
This document is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, or working conditions associated with the job. Employees may be required to perform other job-related duties as required by their supervisor, subject to reasonable accommodation.
Medical Assisting certification (required within 14 months of placement in MA role): Certified Medical Assistant (American Association of Medical Assisting), Registered Medical Assistant (American Medical Technologists), Certified Clinical Medical Assistant (National Healthcareer Association, or National Certified Medical Assistant (National Center for Competency Testing). If incumbent is unable to obtain MA certification, an Assessment-Based Recognition in Order Entry (ABR-OE) is acceptable within same time period.
BLS Basic Life Support (preferred upon hire, required within 90 days of hire)
High School/GED (required)
1 year of healthcare experience (preferred)
2 years of clerical physician practice experience (preferred)
• Record patients’ medical history, vital statistics, or information such as test results in medical records.
• Interview patients to obtain medical information and measure their vital signs, weight, and height.
• Prepare and administer medications as directed by a physician.
• Collect blood, tissue, or other laboratory specimens, log the specimens, and prepare them for testing.
• Provide authorized prescription and drug refill information for pharmacies as directed by provider.
• Explain treatment procedures, medications, diets, or physicians’ instructions to patients.
• Clean and sterilize instruments and dispose of contaminated supplies.
• Perform routine laboratory tests and sample analyses.
• Perform general office duties, such as answering telephones, taking dictation, or completing insurance forms.
• Successfully completes skills or competency checklists to be able to help physicians examine and treat patients, performing such tasks as handing them instruments, giving injections, removing sutures, changing dressings on wounds.
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Ability to collaboratively work with patients, families, and teams within a high-volume environment.
• Medical terminology
• Attention to detail
• Ability to multitask
• Ability to use standard office equipment (i.e. computer, copier, phone, fax machine)
Mercy Health is an equal opportunity employer.
Many of our opportunities reward* your hard work with:
Comprehensive, affordable medical, dental and vision plans
Prescription drug coverage
Flexible spending accounts
Life insurance w/AD&D
Employer contributions to retirement savings plan when eligible
Paid time off
And much more
*Benefits offerings vary according to employment status
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Days (United States of America)
Regional Medical Associates – Lourdes Physicians Service LLC
All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, genetic information, or protected veteran status, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. If you’d like to view a copy of the affirmative action plan or policy statement for Mercy Health – Youngstown, Ohio or Bon Secours – Franklin, Virginia; Petersburg, Virginia; and Emporia, Virginia, which are Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer, please email (url removed). If you are an individual with a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation as part of the employment selection process, please contact The Talent Acquisition Team at (url removed)
Your career path has many avenues available for you to succeed. Are you looking to advance at a rate that...Apply For This Job
At KFC, we feed the world, but we do more than fill people up. We fulfill their lives. Our meals...Apply For This Job
job description Job Description This position will lead and direct routine functions of the Human Resources (HR) department including onboarding,...Apply For This Job
Thank you for considering a career at Bon Secours! We understand finding the right unit can be challenging right out...Apply For This Job
Overview The Program Director of Diversity Recruitment will be responsible for the creation, consultation and successful execution of a diversity,...Apply For This Job
Logistician I As a Logistician I, you will be a part of the team supporting NSWCPD Codes 315, Provisioning and...Apply For This Job